Thursday, February 5, 2009

Analysis of a Classic Text

After having posted the previous post, I came to think about the first item in it: my first ever computerized text. I composed it to send as a sample to the creator of Tapissary, who had expressed interest in my work. The words it's composed of are some of the oldest in the language, some of which have fallen out of use and some are still common to this day. It is a simple story drawn from a very limited range of vocabulary, but worthwhile as an appetizer to the language!

What follows is the transcribed text, with translation and commentary.
Órgom silawa:


Idh báú híwa inanemdwa ad thakhadar ingwa da kerbé.
Tonight we went to my house [literally] "at the tree."
I'm not too sure what I meant by the last bit, but maybe it was something like "in the forest."

Da híé thakhadé, idh wudheú kwe shelmú láptongar níbar.

At this house, we washed and ate hot bread.

Vót, ing báú rús thakhadwa suarsh óshúhezwid.
Then, I went out of the house to watch the stars.
Here we see the infinitive to express purpose (óshúhezwid). This should be considered an archaism, and not acceptable in standard speech. The modern form would use the subordinating conjunction tál. Also, hezwid is a variant spelling of the more common hazwid.

Édh éphí shánzatsh gér kerbésh.

They were beautiful through the trees.
The modern form of shánzatsh would be shánzatesh.

-Níalé 2007
That's me! Note the instrumental of agent and the lack of a number system.

The original text is to be found right below this.

No comments: